.

Monday 15 October 2012

Water closet



   This is an aquarium I found in a junk shop. I mounted it on a pedestal and painted the woodwork black. My intention is to found a colony of Cherry Shrimps (Neocaridina heteropoda var. red).


   Rearing from the floor of the tank is a cow's skull given to me by a friend who had found it in his barn. I'm hoping that the bolt hole left by the abatteur's stun gun will serve as a bolt hole for my crustaceans. Yes, there's nothing like an obscure subaqueous pun of questionable taste to get the party going.

   I have been on the lookout for a vertical tank for some time, they're quite rare and it wasn't until I was setting it up that I realized why; landscaping the substrate is almost impossible. Planting the Eelgrass (Vallisneria americana) was achieved by standing on a chair, stooping over the rim and submerging my denuded upper body.
   Had the chair toppled it would have resulted in a disconcerting discovery for those curious enough to eventually batter down my door (“Strange he left no note”), but it would have been in keeping with my original aim of creating a watery memento mori.